Wednesday, February 28, 2007

TRJ #4- Writer’s craft 1- sturucture- How does the view change from part 1 to 2?

Novel ‘The Notebook’ can be divided into two big parts. First, part 1 is the story when two main characters were 29 and 31 years old. Part 2 is where the time passed and they are in their 70s. In part 1, the story goes on with the third person point of view which is that author tells both character’s action and feelings. Therefore, I could know about main characters more easily and fast because the book showed both action and feelings. On the other hand, first person point of view was used in part 2. Noah became the first person and talked about the events in his point of view. Although I was a little bit confused in first who was ‘I’, the first person view was good because I could exactly know about how the person who is telling the story feels. Also, it was not hard to figure out Allie’s feelings because Noah already knows and explains in detail. I think the author changed the voice in between to show more effectively that time has passed and lots of things had changed. Furthermore, it would be hard to understand if the author wrote in Allie’s point of view since Allie is patient of Alzheimer’s. Although she recovers by power of love, it would be still hard. It was quite interesting that voice changed in middle, and I could understand and agree with the main characters more easily by reading both first person view and third person view.

1 comment:

janebo said...

Hi Ray~ Though I have not yet read the novel version of The Notebook, I appreciate your thoughts on Nicholas Sparks’ use of different points of view. I agree with you in that this literary technique appears to establish a more colorful illustration of the characters and indicate the change and passing of time. Adding to this point by considering what I already do know about Noah and Allie from the film, however, I think that this change in perspective is also significant to the unchanging image of love that Sparks creates through his characters. To be honest, there are plenty of stories out there that are much like the third-person romance that 31-year old Noah and 29-year old Allie led while Allie’s parents disapproved of their daughter’s such “summer romance” – a passionate but often short-lived fling that tends to be fed with flattering promises and adorned with the mask of everlasting love (sorry if I sound too skeptical of the typical “love at first sight” storyline). The single component of Noah and Allie’s love story that made a real personal difference for me, however, was the reflection and realization of Noah and Allie’s third-person memory of love in their first-person lives of love. It seems altogether so beautiful to see the true love of Noah and Allie grow stronger and deeper with time as the two plots, two periods of time, two individuals, two hearts converge into one (and… there I go with my sentimental side again). Anyway, thank you for your thoughts:)