Thursday, March 1, 2007

TRJ #6- Original- Comparing Allie Nelson and Sujin Kim

When I read the novel ‘The Notebook’, I remembered watching the Korean melodramatic movie ‘Eraser in my head’. I could easily remember seeing that movie because of the fact that movie was the story of Alzheimer’s patient, just like second part of novel. Although Allie Nelson in the book and Sujin Kim in movie have many differences, there are some similarities between two of them. They have a husband who loves her very much. Chul-soo Choi is husband of Sujin, and he feels much pain while watching her but doesn’t leave her. Noah also shows a great love toward his wife Allie throughout his whole life. Furthermore, they had a passion and talent to their jobs, or works. Allie showed great ability and passion in painting, which she could gain again because of Noah. Before she knew she was ill, Sujin worked at suit designing company and was a capable designer. They are both lovely and beautiful woman, and have both tender and confident side. However, Allie married and lived with Noah for long time, like 45 years or more until she knows that she got ill, but Sujin knew the fact right after she married. Despite the fact that Allie is in her 60s (or 70s) and Sujin is in her 30s, two female characters have big similarity that they showed great love story with their husbands. Since I compared two of them and read the novel, I could more enjoy the book and think about the topic again.

3 comments:

Sukkyeong* said...

Hi Ray~:)
Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog! I also have watched the movie, 'Eraser in my head', and also have read 'The Notebook', but never thought about the two main characters' similarities. It is interesting to see similarities between people(the two main characters) from totally different places. Good comparing!

Karin Aaltonen said...

Hey Ray!!
The connection you made of "The Notebook' to the Korean movie 'Eraser in my Head' is very well thought of. I guess this tells us that when it comes to love and sorrow, the difference in races do not matter. Now days, even though in reality it is very hard to find love like these two beautiful stories, we all long to find that perfect match who will fulfill these dreams of ours. Seriously if you think about it, who wouldn't want this type of romance in their life when they get married?
It's good that you've enjoyed this book!! Have you seen the movie of 'The Notebook' by any chance?? If you haven't I recommend that you watch it because many people say that the movie version is even better than the novel.

Beginning with all new heart (Ray) said...

Sukkyeong and Karin, thank you for commenting for my entry! I didn't have a chance to watch the movie 'The notebook', but I want to try it! ^^