Sunday, April 8, 2007

SMART-Beginning1-letter

*To character from reader

Dear Gertrude Waterhouse,

Hi, Mrs. Waterhouse. While I was reading the part about you, I could understand and feel sympathy about you a little bit. I know the jealousy you have toward Mrs. Coleman, who is more beautiful, elegant, and wealthy than you. I could understand your feeling well because I also had a jealousy toward others who are better than me in several things. I was jealous to friend who had good score and beautiful than me. However, I could overcome the jealousy and developed myself by competing with her in mind. I tried hard to do the homework well, study more than her, and do the presentation or test well than her. Since I tried hard to get better grade, I could overcome the jealousy and became good friend with her. If a person can develop one without competing, it will be great but if they can’t, it will be good to compete with others and try hard. Therefore, I understand your jealousy toward Mrs. Coleman, but you should compete and overcome your jealousy and be good friend with her or you will just feel jealousy every minute you see her. I am younger than you and I experienced the life little, but in my opinion, keeping jealousy as a jealousy forever would certainly not help oneself. So you should really try to overcome your feeling toward her.
I think I have many similarities with you. Not just because of jealousy, but also a little bit I am a little bit conservative as you, and I really care what I look like to other people. I could know your personalities by your opinion toward wearing ‘mourning clothes’ at the first part of novel. Since I don’t live in same time with you and I never saw or wore mourning clothes, I couldn’t understand you and Mr. Waterhouse’s opinion well. However, I asked my mother and she said that in Chosun dynasty, which is like hundred years ago, people wore mourning clothes for 3 years. I read about them more and could understand the conservative peoples’ opinion a little bit. Although I consider myself as a conservative person and think a lot about outer part, which is being showed to others, I think you should accept and understand the new things which are changing. Since the time that you are living in is experiencing many changes which will make the base of these days, you should find a way to harmoniously combine the tradition and changes. These days, almost everything is digital and modernized, but some people feel sick of it and go back to the analog things, which are representing the tradition. Therefore, you should not be grieved about the fact that people are accepting more digital and modernized things in your time.

Sincerely,
Ray Choe

No comments: