Sunday, April 8, 2007

SMART-beginning2- letter

*to reader from character

Dear Ray Choe,

Hi, I am Gertrude Waterhouse. I received your letter yesterday and I could think about many things while reading your letter. Thank you for sending me the letter first, since I could learn many things from you although I am older than you. Sometimes adults have to learn things from younger ones, too. I was quite surprised that my conservative parts and jealousy toward Mrs. Coleman showed strong to you. The hardness of my jealousy is quite lower than you think, but I could not deny that the fact that I have a jealousy in myself now. I know that jealousy makes a person lonely and sensitive, and I will work hard to overcome my feelings toward Mrs. Coleman. Although she has many features that I don’t have, maybe she will feel same as me since every person has almost same feelings and thoughts in themselves. Also, I thought about my conservative parts, which was represented by a ‘mourning clothes’ in your letter. I could not really accept your thoughts and opinions toward me and my thoughts, and I think it is because of the difference of place and time. Although the things I and most people in this country in this time pursues are ‘old’ and ‘old-fashioned’ at your time, it is most common and traditional things in here. I know that several things are changing and they will be accepted in future, but still traditional items and thoughts are just as important as modernized and digital(anyway, what does “digital” mean?) items, since it all has some tradition, which can not be denied or modified even if hundreds of years have passed. Also, I am asking you one question: did future people combined traditional items and digital items harmoniously? I am very concerned and have curiosity about the future of our society. If it is able, maybe I will be able to do it also when more time passes and I mature more. Because our perspective is different, I think we can not have exactly same opinion or thought toward some things. I feel it is natural, and I am saying that from my heart since I tried hard to understand and accept your words. Understanding the words is different from accepting the words. And just one more question: what country do you live in? I am not familiar with the word ‘Chosun’, although you explained that the Chosun dynasty was hundreds of years ago. Maybe it is one among Asian countries? Please answer back my questions when you write to me next time. Anyway, it was interesting to receive your letter. It made me think about many issues.

Sincerely,
Gertrude Waterhouse

1 comment:

Bryan Munson said...

These letters are fabulous. I love the way she comments on your time period so effectively. Well done, Ray!